About Us >
Why We're Special
Girls in the Game is one of the only organizations, in Chicago and the nation, that addresses girls’ physical, mental, and emotional health with a comprehensive approach to their well-being.
Programming takes place in a positive, all-girl space where participants are empowered to find their voices, explore new physical activities, make healthy choices, and support one another.
Unlike traditional youth programs, Girls in the Game:
Outside research confirms that after one year, girls involved in Girls in the Game:
- addresses the needs of the whole girl
- exposes girls to multiple sports and fitness activities combined with nutrition, health education and leadership development
- engages girls and young women ages 6-18 year-round
- provides peer-to-peer education as well as parent and community involvement
- uses a comprehensive program that’s proven to work
- exercise more
- have a lower, healthier BMI (Body Mass Index)
- eat more fruits, vegetables and healthy foods
- have a healthy body image and feel good about themselves
- believe they are leaders with the ability to change their lives and their communities
These findings back up Girls in the Game’s core belief that girls who grow up playing sports develop into healthier, happier and more successful women. The best proof that the programs work is from the girls themselves–
their smiles, long-term involvement and enrollment in Girls in the Game programs in record numbers.